Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Using RSS

Yesterday I was looking at this blog’s stats. Google keeps track and tells me how many people visit, from where (hello Germany!), and what browser/operating system. I am so proud that half my viewers are Mac users! I also notice Safari also makes up half of my viewers. For those users, let me share a tip with you. Instead of checking every day if I have an new post (like my mom who I see checks my blog every morning between 5 and 6 am), you can be told when my blog is updated. This works for any Safari browser, Mac or Windows.


On the right side of the address bar is the RSS icon:,
click and choose RSS. Or at the bottom of my blog is a line that says “subscribe to posts (Atom)”. From there the screen will change to allow you to see each of my previous blog entries. On the right is the Add Bookmark… which will add a bookmark to your bookmark bar. Alternatively you can drag the icon just to the left of the address in the address bar and drag that to the bookmark bar. Whenever I add something to the blog, a (1) or (2) or something will appear with that link button. This says how many unread articles there are.


In Safari Preferences under the RSS tab you can exit the settings on how long between updates and when to mark them as read.


If you use the Apple Mail app, you can also use this to monitor this and other blogs, which is what I do. It’s how I get my comics every morning and Apple news throughout the day. Beware Mac Defender!


I do not know if there is any special way for Chrome or IE, but if you use either of those and know something special, leave a comment.


From the guy with his eye on the sky, Travis...the camping lifeguard

No comments:

Post a Comment